people benefiting from solar light
What impact will your investment have?
Solar Sister invests in women entrepreneurs to empower them with economic opportunity. Investing in women is a smart investment. Not only does the investment empower the Solar Sister Entrepreneur to build a sustainable solar business that will provide sustainable income and social benefits, but data shows that the income she generates is reinvested 90% back into her family, improving their lives and providing benefits for the next generation, and the next.
Measurable and sustainable economic, social and environmental impact
Solar Sister’s model is structured to create sustainable and growing investment in the triple bottom line of people, profit and planet. As a social business, all profits are reinvested back into the business, generating economic, social and environmental impact. Your one time philanthropic investment continues to grow and grow in impact. One dollar invested in a Solar Sister Entrepreneur generates over $46 of economic benefit in the first year alone.
The Raw Data
- 1.6 billion people live in energy poverty, representing 25% of the world’s population
- 70% of these are women and girls living in the developing world
- 780 million women and children breathe kerosene fumes, inhaling the equivalent of smoke from two packs of cigarettes a day
- 190 million tonnes of CO2 is released into the atmosphere from kerosene use annually. That’s the equivalent of 30 million cars
Solar Sister’s Impact
- Solar Sister Entrepreneurs can double their household income with their solar business
- 30% reduction in household expenses when customers use solar lamp to replace expensive kerosene
- 3 hours more study time for children every day when their families replace kerosene with solar light
- $46 of economic impact is generated for every $1 invested in a Solar Sister Entrepreneur